Friday, February 12, 2010

Drummer, 7th Fusiliers, 1781 -Completed Sculpt-

And finally! Here are some pictures of the finished sculpt. Might need to tweak a thing here or there as it seems like a piece is never really finished. It was a pretty fun sculpt to do, and one of the more dynamic figures I've ever done. I'd like to continue to explore these sorts of figures as it's a fun change up from static figures, which are still my favorites. Dynamic figures offers many challenges which are very different from what I'm used to, and I'm looking forward to learning more about them. I think this will be about as far as I will get with this figure for a while as I have other projects that need to take priority. Until then, here is the finished piece!

Just some thoughts about the materials used for this sculpt. Like stated before, my relationship with Duro has been a rocky one to say the least! Never really liked the stuff, but mainly due to the properties when cured. It is very nice to work with when soft, and takes folds and detail real well. Mixing Duro with Magic Sculpt helped a lot as far as cured putty properties, and found out it takes a lot more MS then it does Duro to make a decent mix. A guestimate of the mix I used was something like 30% Duro of the size of MS mixed, very little Duro goes a long way! At the end of the day, was it worth the trouble mixing both putties? I guess it was, I really need to sculpt a figure out of pure Magic Sculpt again to really be able to decide. The next figure will be another experiment...this time with ProCreate and Magic Sculpt! The problem I've had with ProCreate is that it likes to bubble up a lot when being speed cured, mainly from air trapped under the putty, but for some reason it has tendencies to really bubble up easily where other putties won't. I'll write more on the topic in the coming days, but for now...enough rambling! Here are the pictures of the finished sculpt of the Drummer of the 7th Regt of Foot from the battle of Cowpens, 1781.

Next up is a 54mm mounted Revolutionary War figure carrying the "Unite, or Die" flag, which was the 1765 version of Benjamin Franklin's "Join, or Die" political cartoon that he published in 1756.
Click images for larger versions


0 comments: